This graph shows the progress of energy sources. For Australia it shows the reality of changing energy sources. This is directly derived from published data so there is no supposition or imagined figures of performance. Rooftop solar is the odd one out though. It is an estimate derived by knowing capacity of the installations and then using as parameters those factors that affect output. Cloud, rain, time of year and latitude. There could be other factors such as age of the cells in question.

The figures are enlightening.

Overall renewable energy increased by 2.1% in 2019.

A picture containing text

Description automatically generated Rooftop photovoltaic cells increased by 1.2% and is now a major source of RE electricity being third. It produces 5.2% of supplied electricity and has taken four years to reach that point.

Wind at 8.3% is the first source of RE having supplanted the position of hydroelectricity in 2018. It increased by 1.3% and to do this there was an exceptionally large rise in the plate capacity of more than 1 GW. Note that in the years 2015 to 2017 there was no change in wind energy output.

Hydroelectricity output declined in 2019 dropping from 8.3% to 6.9% that is a change -1.4%. The likely reason is a recent long-term drought which are quite common in Australia.

Grid solar more than doubled but it is from a very low base. The electricity output in 2019 was 2.1% which is a positive change of 1.1%.

The amount of RE in 2019 overall was 22.5%. Fossil accounts for the other 77.5%.

Black coal output has not changed significantly over the years in 2011 it delivered 52.7% of the eastern grid electricity. In 2019 it was 52.1% nevertheless that is a change of -1.9% from the previous year.

Brown coal output had a change of -1.4% in 2019. In 2011 it contributed 26.5% of our electricity and in 2019 it was 16.2%. So brown coal is where there has been a significant reduction in usage.

Natural gas output was 8.4% in 2019 that is an increase of 1.1%. But note in 2012 it was 10.8% of our electricity.

The supporters of RE promote the idea that it is changing rapidly. The actual data shows it is changing but very slowly. One can only hope the closures do not proceed more rapidly than the increase in RE. If it is possible to replace fossil at the current rate it will take 36 years!